Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo Win!


Done! Finito! Fini!

At midday I managed to complete the NaNoWri over a week early. Last week I realised I was well on schedule to complete it in time, and so I decided to push real hard to make sure I was definitely going to win. Here are the top three things that helped me the most:

  • Planning. I had the idea for this three years ago, and it's been on my mind ever since. I knew the character, I knew the plot, I knew the subplots, and I knew where my problems were going to be. I had all that ironed out before November even started so that I could just keep writing.
  • I didn't focus on the word count, I focused on getting the story as complete as possible and managed to get well ahead of my word count. It's hard to play catch up later and I knew I wanted to win this year, so I downsized my procrastination and made sure I wrote nearly every day.
  • Knowing that my blog was inspiring others to have a go at the NaNoWriMo also spurred me along even further. I have a competitive streak and I hope you do too - I've won, now you lot need to get cracking!

The Clearing

WITHER meets THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH: who will survive Ruby's reckless decision? If you like the sound of that, maybe you would like to be a Beta-Reader for my latest manuscript, The Clearing.

I truly want the most honest opinion you can muster. The book is fairly short (between 50,000 to 60,00 words) and is a young/new adult, dystopian horror. Here's the working synopsis:

Ruby struggles with her village's stubborn ways, but even more so with why those Sentenced run willingly into the forest full of the Soulless. She knows there's more to life than this one village, and refuses to sit back and raise children, especially whilst her friend is being abused by her father and strangers are being rejected entry from the village.

When Ruby is Sentenced for endangering the whole village, she refuses to run. She wants them to watch the Soulless infect her as payback for her harsh banishment! Only the town psychic pulls her back from her fate at the last minute, crossing hairs with the Mayor and causing a chain of events that have disastrous consequences for the whole entire village.

Maybe Ruby should have run...

Please use the contact form if you're interested. I can't wait to hear what you think, whether it's good, bad, or somewhere in the middle.

I'll be posting up an exert soon!

My Final Tips

You don't have to win to succeed. If you've got a big chunk of writing done which you know you would have never made yourself do without this event, then you've already succeeded.

But winning is nice.

Don't get too comfortable. If you feel like your on schedule, then remember how unpredictable life can be and really push yourself further. Try to keep yourself a day or so in front. That means you're less likely to be scrabbling around on the last day, praying for the last ounce of inspiration to carry you through.

Go back and flesh out some of your earlier scenes. Save the real editing for later, but maybe some of those scenes you wrote last week could do with an extra few hundred words to really build the tension, set the scene, and reiterate past events to remind readers of bits they may have forgotten about.

Start thinking about the sequels. Sometimes I start writing scenes for later books whilst I'm still working on the first. It's not cheating (or at least I don't think it is) to explore what may happen after the book 1 plan, and who knows, maybe you were really writing bits from book 1 all along!

Watch This Blog For Freebies! 

Next month I'm planning on offering free (short) section edits to those participating in the NaNoWriMo, to help you kick start the editing process.

Also, I have a fantastic author offering two copies of her new novel! Entries will open in December.

There will also be lots of advice on self-publishing next month, so check back soon for lots of great freebies and tips.

Let me know when you succeed!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant