Skip to main content

Author Interview: Paulina Ulrich

Paulina Ulrich, author of Flightless Bird. Self-published using CreateSpace. 

And the last post of my self-publishing fest is here. Later on today I'll post a round up of all the articles, but for now, here's a love story with a twist of magic.


The summer of her seventeenth birthday Livy Eckels was faced with something she wasn't ready for. In the midst of a crumbling family, devastated, she grabs her bicycle and heads out of town to escape the heavy atmosphere at home. Livy unexpectedly crashes into the lives of two mysterious people living on the outskirts of town. 

As she prepares to start her final exhaustive year of high school, she already has enough on her plate. Then with the entrance of Gregory Mason, her life becomes even more complicated. Tall, handsome, and ever so annoying, Livy can't stand being around him until she finds herself being pulled closer and closer to things she cannot explain. She was determined to understand why Gregory Mason was so interested in her until she discovered something that may put her curiousity to an end. Before she knows what is happening Livy becomes entangled in the mystifying plots of a secret society, a vengeful ex-lover, and a situation she never expected to find herself in: falling in love with a boy whose secret she should have never known.


~*~

Tell us a bit about your novel.

Flightless Bird is hard to describe in a nutshell! It focuses on a teenage girl named Livy, who never expected to be thrown into a world of danger, secrets, and time travel, but when she met Gregory Mason, there was no stopping what she least expected: falling in love. Embarking on a treacherous path, Livy and Gregory must escape his past before the lies, a secret society, and the deadly consequences catch up to them.


How long did it take you to write Flightless Bird?

I started writing it in August of 2008 and it came out in 2011, so three years. I had varying versions, but the characters and the time travel theme always remained solid. There were lots of ups and downs while writing it, but it was an unbelievably fun story to write!


Where did you get your inspiration from?
I find a lot of inspiration in nature and my roots trace back to the Pacific Northwest. It's a beautiful place and I love it so much. Music is inspiring to me during the writing process and will help me if I'm writing varying scenes, whether they be action, emotional, or light-hearted.


When did you realise you wanted to be an author?

There wasn't a precise moment where I realized everything I wanted to be. As cliche as it is to say this, I'd been writing since I was 6 and have the home video to prove it. I didn't realize it then, but I have no doubt writing has been my calling my entire life. I even have a B.A. in creative writing from college. I suppose I've always known I wanted to be one.


What was the hardest part about writing Flightless Bird?

The difficulty of anything you write can change over time. Depending on the plot, setting, characters--anything can challenge an author in context of the story they're writing. I believe you can't be a good author unless you challenge yourself to write something that is hard or new. If you end up stuck writing the same boring stories with the same flat characters, you're not doing any one a favor. Be as original as possible.


When did you decide you would choose self publishing, and what made you opt for that route?

I chose self-publishing as my first route of publishing because it’s an industry one can work through as well as still querying for agents at indie houses or big publishing houses. There are so many avenues and it’s best not to strap yourself down to one industry, but to dabble in them all and find the right fit for yourself.


What kinds of things did you do to prepare yourself for self-publishing?

Research. I can’t emphasize that enough. Self-publishing is not this easy pass where you can publish your work and everything is all perfect. Its hard work and you have to research to find the parts of self-publishing that fit with your own writing. Finding your fellow writers that you connect with are important too. I found a writing group and stuck with them because it’s always good to have feedback from other writers who know what they’re doing. There was so much I did to prepare that if I explained it all, that would be its own novel!


Would you do anything differently for your next novel?

Flightless Bird is the first in a series and it has two more following books. I also have CHOSEN, the first book in my other series, the Fighting Fate series, that has come out. At this point, I’m not sure I would do anything different. But who knows! Things can always change.


What was the hardest part of self-publishing – what surprised you?

The hardest part in the beginning was the marketing aspects. Starting out, getting your name out there is hard but it’s doable with help! I was surprised to find out how many fellow book nerds and writers are willing to help market each other.


What is your best piece of advice?

Do your research, work hard, and be original in context of your own work. Don't write what's popular just because that's what everyone is reading. Trends fade fast. Stay true to you and your writing, no matter how cheesy that sounds.


Who would you recommend self-publishing to, and who would you deter?

Self-publishing is a serious industry just like indie and traditional publishing. If you aren’t taking your work seriously, no one else will. If you want to publish an article or short story, then focus on publishing on a blog or journal publication. Journals are great ways to have your work showcased to the world.


What publisher did you use and how would you rate them?

I never particularly sought out a single publishing company. I participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and after fulfilling the goal, recommendations for CreateSpace came up. I started to investigate it and other avenues of self publishing. My conclusion was CreateSpace was user friendly and the quality of the books was what you paid for. I’ve used them for all my novels so far. Their paperbacks aren’t super durable but then again, what paperback is? I’d recommend them for use, but still do research to do what is best for you. CreateSpace is one of many options!

~*~

Author Profile

Paulina Ulrich is the author of Flightless Bird, which can be purchased from Amazon. For more details on Paulina Ulrich, check out her personal website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant