Skip to main content

SP Book Review: Girl of the Book

GIRL OF THE BOOK by Princila Murrell
3 Stars
Verdict:
 For young children moving from a Western lifestyle to an Eastern.


Twelve year old Courtney Parker is devastated to have to leave her friends and South Africa behind when her father accepts a lucrative contract and the family relocate to Saudi Arabia.

Jeddah feels like a different planet to Johannesburg. In spite of her initial reluctance to venture out of the comfort and security of their new home, she quickly forms friendships with Nizar Bukhari and Lana Alahmadi. However, not everyone is happy with the situation.

Courtney must learn to adapt to an alien, seemingly unforgiving culture and stand up to the bullies that are making her school life hell.

Nizar and Lana must both try to overcome their family prejudices in order for their friendship with Courtney to survive. Will they succeed? Will they be able to set aside their differences? Can they bridge the cultural divide?


~*~

The Rating Breakdown 

Enjoyment: 3  A quick read, but I wanted more plot.

Writing Style: 3  Clear and easy to read, but sometimes a little bland. 

Plot: 1  Situations where things are learned rather than a plot.

World & Concepts: 4  I learned a lot about the culture, but wanted to see more of Saudi Arabia.

Characters: 4   Main character is likeable, although I thought she was younger than stated.

Finish: 4   Reads flawlessly. I’m not a fan of the cover art but the pictures inside were a nice touch. 

Strengths: I enjoyed learning about a Muslim culture from multiple perspectives. 

Weakness: Very niche audience. 

~*~

This is a bit of a young novel for me. The middle grade novels I tend to review have more of an ageless quality, like Disney films and (when no one’s looking) Adventure Time. This didn't have the same appeal for me personally, although it will probably appeal well to young children moving from a Western environment to an Eastern who feel a bit anxious.

Usually when a book is written with the intentions of teaching, the author to sacrifice the plot and entertainment factor in aide of learning. This book is no different. It’s short and easy to get through but I wouldn’t recommend it to the average reader.

The main character is twelve year old Courtney, although she sounds a lot younger than twelve. She’s a white girl who has to move to a school in Saudi Arabia and needs to adapt to the new culture, although we get to see snippets of others' perspectives which give a balanced view of Muslim life.

The voice is young and simple. It’s mainly narrated by a typical young girl with an annoying younger brother and a reluctant attitude to uprooting her life. I could sympathise, but I couldn’t relate. Young children might love the characterisation, but it’s not written in a way that grabs the older audience. It’s a bit too simple, missing out on that ‘spark’ factor.

I found it was often closer to non-fiction than fiction. Courtney discovered more about a world which is out of her comfort zone in a series of episodic events. I enjoyed leaning through Courtney as I only knew a little bit more than she did about the culture, but when each situation only lasted a page or two, I needed something more: I wanted an overarching plot that would bring the ideas together to form some sort of peak with a resolution towards the end.

There was no grand plot. The conflict included reluctance to be there and a few difficult classmates, but the character rarely acted on these things. The whole book is very passive. The characters experience life without being able to act on it, and have mundane kid experiences. The stakes? None. Action? None. Climax and resolution? Minimal. No mystery, no suspense. Don’t get me wrong, there were a few great scenes, but there wasn’t a clear middle and end - nothing that makes the story cohesive. A bit of a plot started to develop within the last few pages, but it was resolved quickly. That section was more like an extended episode.

If you know someone who’s moving to a Muslim country and has small children, this would be a great book to recommend them. Or maybe this would work well in schools to help children learn about other cultures. I can see it being very useful, but it's more of a teaching tool than a book for entertainment.

Source: Copy provided by author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant