Skip to main content

Book Review: Such A Secret Place

SUCH A SECRET PLACE by Cortney Pearson
3 Stars
Verdict: Brilliant but inconsistent fantasy concept.



Raids splatter across the news--Arcaian soldiers are stealing magic left and right, using it against the people they steal it from.

When sixteen-year-old Ambry Csille's brother gets taken in one of these raids, her utter fear and panic should be enough to invoke tears in any normal world. But for Ambry, tears are a thing of the past.

Because of a spell, people can no longer feel emotion; not enough to cry, and definitely not enough to defend themselves against the tyrannical soldiers stealing her people’s magic. A rare vial of enchanted tears chooses Ambry to reverse the spell, and soon she finds herself the target not only of the Arcaians, but of battle-scarred Talon Haraway, who wants the tears for his own reasons.

All Ambry wants is to rescue her brother, but when her tears get stolen, Ambry determines to work with Talon to get them back. Any day the Arcaians could drink her tears. Any day they’ll succeed at draining her people's magic completely, and all hope will be gone—not only for her brother, but for her world.

~*~

Sink or swim is an apt description of this book. The opening chapters were mainly exposition which made it hard for me to get into. Lots of terms were mentioned, some explained better than others. I still have many questions about the world, and I felt like not enough of it was shown.

I decided to cling to some driftwood and go with the flow. After all, this is by no means a bad book. The creativity of the concepts knocked my socks off, from stealing magic to the emotional blunted society. The romance is gradual and feels natural, and there are plenty of action snippets throughout.

I still found the poor author never gripped my interest. One of the main issues was show don’t tell, and a few of the told concepts felt very inconsistent making it hard to follow at times.

Ambry doesn’t have magic... Then what is she doing at school where they seem to be learning about magic? We’re told she gets extra time during tests because she’s powerless, but what are these tests? Extra time won’t help you fill up a canister with magic (which is the only thing we’re shown).

No emotion was also a fascinating concept... except characters did have emotion. Rather sporadically though. I thought I understood the rules, but I’m pretty sure the author breaks them a couple of times throughout the book, and then changes the rules towards the end. Some characters clearly have emotion and magic, and I couldn’t help but wonder why the main character never at least questioned this a little more.

Descriptions were usually clever but minimal, powerful in places and lacking in others. From time to time, I ended up with a very flat idea of where the characters were. The author had some good lines up their sleeve and a bit of wit, but I can’t help but think it was often misplaced. A witty line isn’t a good substitute for description, and if you have to drag out a scene to add in humour, it gets tedious.

When I start editing a book as I read, I just know it’s not quite as polished as it could be.

Logic was also obscure. For example, if I hypothetically caught someone who had a bounty of 100K, I wouldn’t just steal their necklace and let them go, no matter how valuable the necklace is.

Other times, the scene would rapidly change with little warning. Action scenes were good and plenty, although it wasn’t always clear what was going on. Towards the middle of the book, I felt like there was too much emphasis on long fights, without much tension behind them. Some parts were much, much stronger than others.

Overall, it just seemed a bit rushed. Such a secret place has five star potential, but not quite there yet, at least, not for me.

Source: NetGalley.com, from a lovely author

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant