Skip to main content

Book Review: Escape From Witchwood Hollow

ESCAPE FROM WITCHWOOD HOLLOW by Jordan Elizabeth
3 Stars
Verdict: Intriguing but not thrilling.



Everyone in Arnn - a small farming town with more legends than residents - knows the story of Witchwood Hollow: if you venture into the whispering forest, the witch will trap your soul among the shadowed trees.

***

Escape From Witchwood Hollow will always stand out to me as unusual in a good way. The eerie feeling of the hollow drew me in, and the multiple timelines developed steadily in a way that kept me thinking about where the story might be going. I’m a fan of the author and always surprised by some of her ideas, but overall this book didn’t hit the right notes for me.

There were three main perspectives, each with different stories surrounding the haunted Witchwood Hollow.

First we have schoolgirl Honoria from 2001. There’s not much to say about her, other than she’s still grieving the loss of her parents from the September 11th tragedy. I found her section just too bland with too many mundane events, and the romance was written in a very dry way.

Next up is the tale of a murderous witch from 1670. Lady Clifford’s perspective enthralled me, with her strange view on life and creepy thoughts. She seemed very unstable, and that’s what really pulled me in. I never knew whether she was going to snap, and every scene involving her was instantly tense.

Finally, we have Albertine from 1850. Albertine fascinated me. I had to face palm her naivety a few times, but I grew to like her. She didn’t always understand what was made so clear to the reader, and the use of dramatic irony really kept me reading. I thought the ‘tap tap tap’ would become more significant later on, and possibly in an incredibly creepy way, but it never really developed. I couldn’t help but feel it was a lost opportunity to really send shivers down a reader’s spine.

In Albertine and Honoria’s sections, the side characters piled high. I get the feeling this would have worked better as a novella with fewer character and less from Honoria perspective overall. If the book took a slightly different turn around mid-way, it could have been fantastically chilling. Instead, nothing major happened to carry the story forwards. Although parts still intrigued me, the tension ebbed away. I didn’t know what the book was building to, and it ended on that feeling for me.

I liked how the book linked together at the very end, but I didn’t like Albertine’s ending. Without adding in spoilers, I’ll just say it felt like no one actually did anything substantial to resolve the conflict, and then it was resolved. I didn’t really like Honoria’s ending either. I was expecting a fascinating twist, but instead it was more of a round off.

Sometimes the writing was clean and easy to read, each word slipping off the page. Other times it told rather than showed. My boyfriend read a line over my shoulder about a man’s beard, and we proceeded to discuss what the author had intended from this perplexing description.

I guess what I didn’t like so much about the book was the unfulfilled potential. I kept seeing snippets of fantastic writing and gripping storytelling, but then those snippets would pass by.

As I said before, I’m a fan of the author, but I think they’re still a book or two away from writing something utterly brilliant. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an intriguing story with a constant pace, but I can’t say more than that.

Source: Review copy from the author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant